Wednesday, January 11, 2017

Beginning to swim Na Kai `Ewalu the eight seas of the Hawaiian Islands
(my first week of online study of 'Olelo Hawaii Hawaiian language and culture)
Click on any of the underlined words in the content below to find out about the online study program Niuolahiki.

To understand the many levels of mele, one must

digest
believe in
invest in
defend 
and commit

to Hawaiian cultural practices and Hawaiian language arts.

The Hawaiian cultural knowledge one possesses, along with the clues presented in chants

CREATES A STAGE for enlightenment--a junction

where MEMORY and NA'AU meet and produce instantaneous moments when ancestral knowledge is reborn again.

Know your culture and language well enough so these special moments do not flee without recognition.

- Pualani Kanaka'ole Kanahele, from Ka Honua Ola

1 comment:

  1. I began my first lessons in Beginning Hawaiian Language through Aha Punanaleo's online program. I cleared and blessed the space before asking permission to participate an important concept in Hawaiian culture. A photograph of my Ma looks back at me from the small table next to my Hawaiian Dictionary. A painting of kalo done by a friend of mine is lit up by the lamp. The setting of a Hawaiian context for language is big. I took one twenty minute lesson and am digesting that.

    Step One has begun in my journey to go back home.

    ReplyDelete